Indian Mills Historical Society – Keeping History Alive
This graphic was originally provide by IMHS to give individuals a quick overview of the historic locations around town. Click on the image or the letters and number at the bottom of the image for a description of each location.
A B C 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
A. The Brotherton Indian Reservation founded in 1758 began here and orinigally contained 3284 acres. The Indians moved to New York and the land was auctioned off in 100 acre parcels in 1802.
B. Boundary line of 16108.4 acre Wharton State Forest located in Shamong Township.
C. Wharton State Forest Historic sites located in Shamong Township.
1. This is the site of the Half Moon and Seven Stars Tavern erected circa 1800 by John King. Later called Fliaton Hotel and operated by M. Pettit. Burned down in late 1860’s.
2. This road was used by stagecoaches from Philadelphia to Tuckerton in the late 1700’s. It still follows the same course through the Pines.
3. The pioneer log homestead of Lavin and Charity Still was located here. They were the parents of the famed “Black Doctor of the Pines”, James Still.
4. The Small’s Hotel was erected by Israel Small as a tavern and hotel in 1830. Town meetings and elections were held here for many years. It was later known as Baker’s Hotel.
5. This is the site of the Free Soil School erected in the mid-1800’s and used until 1922. It was then converted to a private dwelling. The house was torn down in 1972. It was also known as Baker School.
6. Original indian path that passed through this area. I was known locally as the Shamong Trail. A portion of this path goes from Burlington to Cape May.
7. This house was erected by Clayton Wilkins in 1809 on land left to him by his father, Amos Wilkins. John Bordan purchased the homestead in 1841 and lived there for many years.
8. This is the site of the first successful attempt to raise cultivated cranberries. It was started by William R. Braddock in Sordan’s Meadow nearby.
9. This is the site of the tavern operated by John Piper in 1793. The Indian Reservation lands were sold at public auction in 1802. Josiah Switch ran the tavern until 1855.
10. Dillett is the site of a hotel erected by Manassas Dellett in 1880. Town meetings and social affairs were held here. It was later known as Patterson’s Hotel. It was demolised in 1975.
11. The Treaty tree was the location of age-old traditions which recall the site of a fallen mulberry tree which was a gathering place for Reservation Indians.
12. John J Gardner, former U.S. Congressman (1883 to 1913) made his home here. He was also the former mayor of Atlantic City, a State Senator, and a Civil War veteran.
13. Red Men’s Hall was originally constucted for use as a Baptist Church in 1876. It was later maintained by the Improved Order of Red Men. Elections and town meetings were held here.
14. The Hartford School was a one-room school house erected by Upper Evesham Preparation Meeting in 1806. It was dismantled in 1906. Old Indian school was erected near this same site, but later burned down in 1923.
15. George W. Hagerthey operated a general store for over 25 years during the latter nineteenth century. He purchased the property in 1847.
16. This was the site of a log meeting house, where John Brainerd preached to the Reservation Indians. It was later used by the white settlers as a place of worship. It burned down in 1809.
17. This is the location of a sawmill which was in operation for more than two centuries. It had been the site of the Indian sawmill. Operations ceased in the early 1900’s.
18. This is the home of Rev. John Brainerd, who was the missionary to the Reservation Indians from 1759 to 1777.
19. A general store has been maintained continuously at this location since the Civil War days. A post office was also located here in the late 1800’s.
20. This is the location of the Indian Mills United Methodist Church, which was built in 1879.
21. This is the home of Edward T. Thompson, former State Assemblyman (1871 to 1873) and Township official. The home was built in 1807 by Thomas Bedford. It was also used as a store and Post Office.
22. This is the site of a grist mill and sawmill complex. It was erected by Thomas Bedford in 1807. It was also the previous site of the original Indian Gristmill which burned down in 1762.
23. This is the home of celebrated Ann Roberts, last of the Delawares in this state. She lived here until her death in 1894. She has become a legend in the Pines.
24. This is the location of Atsion Church and Cemetery. It was deeded by Samuel Richards to Church Trustees: Jesse Richards, Thomas S. Richards, John Richards, Samuel B. Finch, Thomas Sordan, Samuel Bareford and Henry Brown, on June 13, 1826.
The Indian Mills Historical Society Web Site IMHS2019.com and Indianmillshistoricalsociety.org
Last Updated 1/1/2021